- The vote itself - The question should be " Do you want Scotland to remain as part of the UK, or to leave?" A majority of the total Scottish Electorate should have to vote leave - not just a majority of those who vote. In addition to this, it should be 60% or above. Also if you don't know, or don't vote, your vote should be taken as the status quo. If independence wins, it needs to win by a hefty majority, or the country will be permanently badly scarred and divided.
- UK Electoral Reform - if this was taken seriously by the UK, it would really help calm things down in Scotland. The House of Lords needs a major shakeup or entirely abolished, the FPTP voting system that keeps putting the Tories in power, even though most people don't vote for them needs revised too. And also the English regions need devolved parliaments to. Then the UK parliament doesn't look like an English Parliament any more.
- What is independence? - This isn't defined, just like Brexit wasn't defined. There are loads of really serious questions around this - the border with rUK, will it be hard (disastrous). The currency? The bank? The deficit? Our pensions - converted to the new currency, then likely devalued against the pound? A "hard Scexit" could make our hard Brexit look like a walk in the park.
- "Things couldn't be any worse". This seems to be the view of many independence supporters, but just take a look around the world.
- Freedom - I find it quite offensive when this term is used to describe what the independence supporters want. We ARE free. We are hugely lucky here in Scotland and the UK. Again, just look around the world.
- We need a period without an SNP-run Scottish Government - We need another power in Scotland to show how devolution was meant to work. To give us a period without a referendum being permanently threatened. And a government that makes the most of the substantial powers we actually do have, and doesn't just blame Westminster for everything.
Scottish Independence - my views
Rob's thoughts on things, mostly stuff already on this website (cars, ships etc).